Aiming for the realization of a decarbonized society, we reduce carbon emissions by promoting energy-saving activities, proactively implementing renewable energy solutions, utilizing next-generation infrastructure options, and working together with stakeholders across the value chain.
Climate change measures play a significant role in the Suntory Group's environmental management
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) estimates that by the end of the current century, the average temperature of the Earth will rise 0.3 to 4.8℃.
As a result, it is presumed that this change will lead to a rise in sea level and frequent extreme weather, which will in effect have a large impact on the ecosystem, food production, etc. Dedicated to our mission "To Create Harmony with People and Nature," in order to protect the global environment, which to us serves as an important foundation of our business, we are working to reduce CO2 emissions at our own sites around the world as well as in the entire value chain outside our bases and promoting environmental management throughout the Group.
Philosophy on the Sustainability Themes
In our Environmental Vision toward 2050, Suntory Group aims to achieve net-zero GHG emissions in the entire value chain by 2050. Our Environmental Targets toward 2030 including reducing CO2 emissions 25% at our bases globally as well as reducing CO2 emissions 20% in the value chain outside our bases.
Environmental Vision toward 2050 and Environmental Targets toward 2030
Environmental Vision toward 2050
- Aim for net zero greenhouse gas emissions across the whole value chain by 2050.
- Continue to promote energy conservation, proactively implement renewable energy solutions, utilize next-generation infrastructure options and work together with stakeholders across the value chain in order to contribute to realizing a decarbonized society
Environmental Targets toward 2030
- Reduce CO2 emissions 25% at our bases globally through efforts such as the adoption of that latest energy-saving technologies and the use of renewable energy*
- Reduce CO2 emissions 20% in the value chain outside our bases*
- Total reduction based on the business fields in 2015
Utilization of the latest energy-saving technologies and renewable energy at our plants
We are proactively adopting the latest energy-saving technologies at Suntory Group plants. For example, we began delivering power to other owned plants obtained by a cogeneration system, which recovers heat generated from in-house generation as a heart source, at Tonegawa Brewery in Japan. At our tequila plant in Mexico, we installed once-through boilers designed to improve the heat recovery rate during the distillation process. In addition to promoting renewable energy use through measures such as installing photovoltaic panels at our plant in Carcagente, Spain (capable of generating approx. 737kW of electricity) and our Minami Alps Hakushu Water Plant in Japan (capable of generating approx. 490kW of electricity), we are working to reduce CO2 emissions from a variety of angles, including switching from heavy oil to city gas, LNG (liquefied natural gas), and biomass fuels, natural fuels that have fewer CO2 emissions per unit.
Suntory Tennensui Kita Alps Shinano-no-Mori Plant
The Kita Alps Shinano-no-Mori Plant, which is currently under construction in Omachi City, Nagano Prefecture (Japan) to serve as our fourth water resource for Suntory Tennensui Mineral Water with operations expected to begin in the spring of 2021, is planned to become a world-class eco-friendly plant. It will become the Suntory Group's first zero CO2 emissions plant* due to factors including the adoption of boilers which use renewable energy and biomass fuel, as well as electric power procurement derived from renewable energy.
- Denotes plant that will achieve net-zero CO2 emissions during the manufacturing process due to promoting energy savings, adoption of renewable energy, use of carbon credits that offset CO2 emissions from fossil fuels, etc.