In the global spirits competition
"San Francisco World Spirits Competition,"
Suntory Liquors is the first Japanese company to be awarded
"The Tasting Panel Magazine Distillery of the Year"
Yamazaki 18 Years Old, Yamazaki 12 Years Old, and Hakushu 12 Years Old,
were awarded Double Gold Medals at the same time
Suntory Liquors became the first Japanese company to be awarded "The Tasting Panel Magazine Distillery of the Year" at the global spirits competition "San Francisco World Spirits Competition" (SWSC), held in the United States. This highly distinguished award is presented to just one company (distillery) that has produced a variety of high-quality products.
In addition, three Suntory single malt whiskies—Yamazaki 18 Years Old, Yamazaki 12 Years Old, and Hakushu 12 Years Old—were awarded Double Gold Medals in their categories at the same time. This marks the seventh win in six years in a row for the Yamazaki brand and the second win, following 2011, for the Hakushu brand.
In this milestone year, when Suntory is celebrating ninety years of producing whisky, we see this year's awards as deeply significant for their solid stamp of approval toward the high quality of malt whisky being produced at both the Yamazaki and Hakushu Distilleries and the high level of individual production technology of a variety of malt whiskies within our company. We will use these awards as an opportunity to speed up marketing activities for the Yamazaki and Hakushu brands inside and outside Japan.
- About the "San Francisco World Spirits Competition"
- Now in its thirteenth year, it is the largest global spirits competition in the United States. It is comprised of four classes, including "Whiskey," "Brandy," and "White Spirits," which are further subdivided into multiple categories, in each of which are chosen a Double Gold Medal, Gold Medal, Silver Medal, and Bronze Medal. In addition, "The Tasting Panel Magazine Distillery Award" is a prize given to just one company (distillery) that has produced a variety of high-quality products.
- About Yamazaki 18 Years Old
- A single malt whisky made through careful vatting centered on sherry cask malt whisky that has been aged for more than eighteen years. With a memorably fragrant aroma of sweet dried fruits, its strong points are its mature feeling and its complex, deep flavor.
- About Yamazaki 12 Years Old
- Its strong points are its sweet, vanilla aroma and its ripe, fruity aroma, which are derived from white oak cask malt whisky at the Yamazaki Distillery. With subtle notes of sherry cask malt whisky and Japanese oak (mizunara) cask malt whisky hidden beneath multiple waves of complex flavors, it has a taste that will keep you coming back for more.
- About Hakushu 12 Years Old
- Made from the clear, natural waters of the Southern Alps, which are known for the Ojira River, one of Japan?s Selected 100 Exquisite and Well-Conserved Waters, the malt whisky is fermented in wooden tubs and distilled over an open flame before being aged in storehouses in the forest, giving it a light taste with a touch of fruity and sweet smokiness.
- Name of Competition
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition (SWSC)
- San Francisco, United States
- Judging and Announcement of Results
- Judging took place March 21-24, 2013
Results announced on the SWSC homepage (https://www.sfspiritscomp.com/)
- Award Classes, Award Names, and Award Recipients
- The Tasting Panel Magazine Distillery of the Year
- Suntory Liquors Limited
- Whiskey Class, Other Whiskey Category, "Double Gold Medal"
- Suntory single malt whisky Yamazaki 18 Years Old
- Suntory single malt whisky Yamazaki 12 Years Old
- Suntory single malt whisky Hakushu 12 Years Old