Oribe, famed for its bright green copper glaze, began to be fired for about 20 years, starting in ca. 1607 at Mino. This example is a thickly potted box with lid.The lid has broad bevelled edges and a strap-like handle in the center. Its interior has crosspieces on two sides, to hold it in place. The base of the box has a small semicircular foot at each corner. Green copper glaze has been applied to the lid and the sides of the body. Underglaze iron motifs have been applied to the white ground. Sgraffito stripes and dots in a diagonal lattice pattern have been produced in the black ground. The interior has a bridge, flowing water, and dots in a diagonal pattern drawn in broad strokes in underglaze iron. The unexpectedness of the design visible when the lid is removed makes it particularly striking.